1959 Rambler American: Stunningly Simple

I’ve always liked Ramblers. Even when I was a kid and everyone knew only grandmas drove Ramblers I appreciated this somewhat odd segment of American cars.  When I found this 1959 Rambler American 2 Door Station Wagon on Ebay, I realized I had never seen an interior of a 1959 American. In an age of gadgety space age dash boards, American Motors came up with one of the simplest dashes I have ever seen.

rambler1

Whereas most cars of the era had several chrome pods protruding from the dash,  American Motors kept it simple with a single round pod centered over the steering wheel.
rambler2

That’s all folks! All you need to know is tastefully displayed. The transmission selector design is also nicely executed.
rambler3

11 Responses to “1959 Rambler American: Stunningly Simple”

1. What a really nice example of a rare and sweet little car.I have been looking for one 5-6 years now,with a 1960 slipping away just this past week.Congrads to you on owning a nice example of this model.If you have any history on this particular model of rambler please send; via e-mail,like years produced,amounts,ect.I’m just interested in the 2-door wagon.Thanks in advanced for any help in this area,and enjoy that beautiful little car.

Sincerely;

Roger Spurgeon

2. Greetings from Nebraska, I was visiting out there and found a 1959 two door with 46000 miles on it. paint is sunbleached but the car looks really nice. The owner told me he would sell it for $1500.00. I’d have to truck it two hours north of Minneapolis Minnesota so I am debating on buying it considering the economeny, job security, etc issues. Other then the rambler station wagon my folks had when I was growing up, a neibhor talked them into selling it for $100.00 (he had it long enough to change the title then resold it) I really don’t know much about them, parts avaialblity, etc. Any input would be appreciated. my email address is buchelflugplatz@hotmail.com I’m not on the compture very often so don’t be surprised if I don’t get back to you right away. You really did a nice job fixing this car up it was a pleasure to view the photos. All the best, Kevin in Minnesota.

3. TIM CAYA says:

I HAVE A 1960 STATION WAGON JUST LIKE THE PICTURE AND AM TRYING TO FIND OUT HOW TO REMOVE THE DRIVE SHAFT. I HAVE THE ENGINE AND TRANS REMOVED AND THE ONLY THING I CAN SEE IS THE LG NUT ON THE REAR END. ANY HELP IS WELCOME. I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR A SERVICE / SHOP MANUAL , RADIO, FRONT TURN SIGNEL LENS COVERS AND A TURN SIGNEL ARM FOR THE COLUMN FOR THE SAME CAR. THANK YOU

TIM

4. nathan says:

i own a 1964 rambler classic two door inline six automatic know anyone who wants to buy

5. Rory Kelley says:

I have a choice 59 Rambler 2Dr. Super Wagon. 39,800 original miles. Original paint, Interior just wonderful. white top, red body, coker wide white walls.
    Been sitting, now getting ready for some tailgating. Would consider selling, $ 6,500.00. Arizona car. Body is great. Everything in tack. Would love to have a rue Rambler person that does not want to make a hot rod out of it.

R Kelley

6. Phil Rigano says:

Hi Rory. I might be interested in your American wagon. Could you tell me moor about the Car?
    Auto or 3spd? Accidents or rust? Any repairs necessary? Drivable to San Diego?
    Thanks
    Phil

7. Frank says:

My father had a white 1959 Rambler American 2-door with a three-speed manual transmission. All I remember was that the vinyl seats were very hot in the Summer, I was nine years of age. I think my Dad was not too impressed with the vehicle because he traded it in for a 1960 Volvo PV-544.

8. Very cool wagon. Would be great with a small block.

9. Randy says:

I might have a chance at acquiring a 1959 Rambler American 2 door Super Wagon. Where can I find parts. (ie: brakes lines, brake pads, shifter rebuild kit, complete rubber kit “doors,windows and etc.”, also interior stuff “seat covers and etc.”. Is there someone who restores dash cluster? So many questions. * are there any catalogs out there for these cars?

10. Filippo says:

These are great cars….I have a 59 Super Wagon…it was son’s first surfmobile - we lived near Santa Cruz CA. We stuck a Ford 8″ rear end in it but will go to a 9″ now that I got a new engine for it - put a mustang II front clip in…will subfame it when I get home from Afghanistan….got a 2010 440 hp Corvette engine and chevy 6 speed auto for it. plan on chopping the top 2.5 inches to give it a sweet street rod look - will add a small cobra type hood scope and hinge the doors in the rear so they open to the front…other than that and some larger tires it will look pretty much stock. the rear tail gate assembly will hinge on the right side and be a single unit. Plan on 4 bucket seats and a full length center console that wraps up to the dash…it will be a real sleeper on the road….look stock and go like a bat outta haites…can’t wait to get home and start working on it….
    Good luck woith yours….the are totally cool classic cars….
    Ciao, Filippo

11. Walt bland says:

Love the car…..had one identical when I was a kid. If you are selling this one…what’s the price…???